Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2010

BP7_OMM_Wordle

**Update - August 22, 2010** Okay, so I just realized that I put the wrong web address for Wordle in my commercial.  I'll be updating the video and reposting very soon, but feel free to enjoy this version until then.  Just know that Wordle can be found at http://www.wordle.net, not .com.

When you go to Wordle, you find that it's a very easy tool to use.  Because of this, they have hundreds of word clouds created every minute.  All the images in this commercial were created in the past twenty-four hours, and this is only a fraction of the content in the gallery for that time frame.  The clouds range from one letter up to thousands of words, and the topics are just as varied.  Judging by the number of Justin Bieber references, teenagers have already caught on to Wordle, and there are 3rd, 4th and 5th graders posting clouds about cyber safety and cyberbullying.  While you find the occasional curse word posted most likely for shock value, you also find song lyrics, Bible verses, sports teams, Muslim prayers, and even a wedding proposal.

So, when it's that simple and that diverse, the only question left is, 
What will you Wordle?

All images come from the Wordle Gallery.

2 comments:

  1. I think Wordle is the next best thing to Peanut Butter as well. I think it is a great tool to use for Brainstorming, Interacting Discussions and making artwork out of words. I created my Wordle for my Dad on Father's Day. If you asked a question in a class discussion, everyone can still have an opinion and be part of a creation. It would be somewhat of a visual "no wrong answer". Who wouldn't want to be a part of a Wordle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin, your OMM was cool. Loved the music and the speed of your images. I had heard about Wordle but not used it until I saw your commercial. What a great tool for vocabulary building! It's art + technology + vocabulary! I think I will use this with my students tomorrow to get them thinking about TV production. When printed, it could be signed by all the kids and framed. I made a Wordle about TV production vocabulary. It was amazing to see the picture Treated out of some words. I really like this, thanks Justin

    ReplyDelete